As you can see from the fancy pictures above & below of me in my sexy Dot Cotton rollers (oo-errr) – I did my own make-up for my wedding.
Controversial? I’m not sure if it is nowadays or if it ever was. But my choice for this was simple. 1. I’m picky about what stuff is put on my face (no comments about this please) and 2. I didn’t want to shell out £200+ for someone to do something that I can do myself.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s a lovely treat to have someone doing it for you, but I knew it would stress me out. I’m far too ‘English’ to complain so I when I did consider it for all of five minutes, I was then having second-hand worry about having to tweak it myself even after paying someone to do it. I felt it would be a waste of our precious wedding budget.
(Just as a side-note: If you’ve read my wedding planning tips post you’ll know that I budgeted and carefully prioritised where my money was going).
So what did I do to save that money? I spent far more money (I genuinely never want to know the total number) on a LOT of very high end make up that’s what! Moral of the story – don’t be fooled into thinking doing your own make-up will save your pennies, you will spend a damn site more on trying all of the products!
That being said, you will of course own the make-up afterwards and I have a fantastic collection now (that I may or may not be ever so slightly over-protective of)… don’t ask my husband about this!
One top-tip if you are going to be doing your own make-up too is to visit the various counters in department stores. Ask for advice, samples or even for them to put the make-up on you prior to parting with your cash. I also booked a free make-up lesson with Bobbi Brown which I would thoroughly recommend. It was extremely helpful in narrowing down what products were right for me and I gained several application tips.
So what did I end up using? Here is a picture of all the products that made the final cut. I have listed them below. There were plenty more that I purchased to ‘trial’ which didn’t get used on the day itself but will be perfect for other occasions.
Starting from the big palette in the middle and going clockwise around….
- Too Faced ‘Chocolate bar’ Eyeshadow palette: I used the lighter colours to highlight my brow bone.
- Bobbi Brown Eyeshadow in Rich Brown: Used in each eye crease and blended onto the lid.
- Bobbi Brown Sparkle Eyeshadow in Sunlight: Used to add a bit of translucent sparkle on top of the other eyeshadows.
- Bobbi Brown Long Wear Cream Shadow in Beach Bronze: Used as a primer on my eye lids and to add a coppery base to my eyes.
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Original: Used as a base eye primer before the Bobbi Brown one above.
- MAC Patent Polish Lip Pencil in Revved Up: Used as a less sticky top-coat gloss so my hair wouldn’t stick to it. (Nothing worse!)
- MAC Lip Pencil in Subculture: Subtle base for my lips.
- Estée Lauder Pure Colour Envy Lipstick in Insatiable ivory: Peachy Lip colour.
- Estée Lauder Bronze Goddess Bronzer in Medium: Fabulous subtle bronzer 10/10
- MAC Eyelash curlers: To errr curl my eyelashes.
- Too Faced Born This Way Naturally Radiant Concealer in Light Medium: Spot hider.
- Urban Decay Naked Weightless Complete Coverage Concealer: Eye bag hider.
- Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation in Dawn 2W1: Used as my face base. Didn’t budge and covered EVERYTHING.
- Charlotte Tilbury Wonder Glow: Obsessed with it. Used it before foundation.
- Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder: Kept my shiny nose at bay.
- Nars Blush in Orgasm: Cheeky name, beautiful pink blusher.
- Christian Dior Diorskin Forever Oil control Powder in 032: Took it with me to top up during the day. Worked a treat.
- MAC Mineralize Skin Finish in Soft and Gentle: Used a subtle highlighter. Makes you look all fresh and glowy.
- Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper Black: Used on my eyelids, it’s waterproof to prevent panda eye woes.
- Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara (waterproof version): For my eyelashes to also prevent panda eye woes.
And if that wasn’t enough, I also used the MAC Prep and Prime finishing spray on my face as a primer before anything else and Urban Decay All Nighter setting spray to finish.
Was I happy with my make-up on the day? Yes
Would I recommend any of these products? Yes, all of them!
Over and out!